The Bible is a book of books, 66 books* altogether, written over a period of hundreds of years by many different authors. These 66 books are divided into two parts, the Old Testament and the New Testament.
The Old Testament contains 39 books** and addresses the formation, existence, and demise of the nation of Israel, the time frame prior to the life of Jesus. The Old Testament books are categorized as follows:
- The books of Moses (the first five books of the Bible)
- Historical books (focusing on the nation of Israel)
- Wisdom literature (books of poetry, good advice, and wise sayings)
- The Prophets (the life and messages of some of God‘s key spokesmen)
Here is a list of the books in the Old Testament:
- First & Second Samuel
- First & Second Kings
- First & Second Chronicles
- First Maccabees*
- Second Maccabees*
- Song of Solomon
- Sirach (aka Ecclesiasticus)*
**The Hebrew Bible includes the same
writings of the 39 Old Testament books
but combine some books together,
resulting in 24 books.
Join me on the journey!
Sign up for my newsletter and get weekly info to encourage as you move you into a fresh, new faith--all from a biblical perspective.