The book of Proverbs in the Bible has 31 chapters. They are organized as follows:
- Chapters 1 to 9: Solomon’s personal instructions to his son (or sons). [Proverbs 1:8]
- Chapters 10 to 24: More wise sayings (proverbs) of Solomon. [Proverbs 10:1]
- Chapter 24:23-34: A brief collection of proverbs from other sources. [Proverbs 24:23]
- Chapter 25-29: An apparent addendum, added by King Hezekiah’s men, but understood to have been from Solomon. [Proverbs 25:1]
- Chapter 30 and 31: Two appendices by other people that fit the book’s overall theme: the sayings of Agur [Proverbs 30:1] and the sayings of King Lemuel [Proverbs 31:1], followed by an epilogue, about the wife of noble character [Proverbs 31:10], which is perhaps the most familiar passage in the entire book.
Get Instant Access!
Sign up for Peter DeHaan's newsletter and get weekly info to guide you into a fresh, new faith--from a biblical perspective.