The Old Testament contains 39* books and covers the formation, existence, and demise of the nation of Israel: the timeframe prior to the life of Jesus. The Old Testament books are grouped as follows:
- The books of Moses (the first five books of the Bible)
- Historical books (focusing on the nation of Israel)
- Wisdom literature (books of poetry, advice, and wise sayings)
- The Prophets (the life and sermons of some of God’s key messengers)
Read the Old Testament of the #Bible this year: Get your free reading plan. Click To TweetFor a good summary of the Old Testament, see Acts 7:2-46; Acts 13:17-23 is even more concise. For more information, see the overview of books in the Old Testament.
View or print a PDF file of the annual Old Testament reading schedule.
* Some Bibles include additional books in the Old
Testament. See Apocrypha for more information.
Join me on the journey!
Sign up for my newsletter and get weekly info to encourage as you move you into a fresh, new faith--all from a biblical perspective.