The Old Testament contains 39* books and covers the formation, existence, and demise of the nation of Israel: the timeframe prior to the life of Jesus. The Old Testament books are grouped as follows:
- The books of Moses (the first five books of the Bible)
- Historical books (focusing on the nation of Israel)
- Wisdom literature (books of poetry, advice, and wise sayings)
- The Prophets (the life and sermons of some of God’s key messengers)
Read the Old Testament of the #Bible this year: Get your free reading plan. Click To TweetFor a good summary of the Old Testament, see Acts 7:2-46; Acts 13:17-23 is even more concise. For more information, see the overview of books in the Old Testament.
View or print a PDF file of the annual Old Testament reading schedule.
* Some Bibles include additional books in the Old
Testament. See Apocrypha for more information.
Free Bible Reading Tip Sheet!
Bogged down reading the Bible?
Good news: there's hope! Reading the Bible can be a meaningful experience. Check out 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight
Let me know your email address. Then I'll email you my free Bible reading guide and add you to my mailing list. (Unsubscribe at any time.)Get 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight today!