One time Jesus skipped the ceremonial hand washing before he ate. The Pharisees took notice of his omission and were about to criticize him when he took preemptive action, giving them a teaching about six woes:
1) Tithing, but neglecting justice and God’s love (v 42)
2) Loving others to be noticed and respected (v 43)
3) Being like unmarked graves — an unseen danger (v 44)
4) Making unrealistic demands of others (that they don’t do) and not helping out (v 46)
5) Implicitly honoring the sins of their ancestors (v 47-51)
6) Hiding the truth from people — and missing it themselves (v 52)
When considering these six woes, ceremonial hand washing isn’t a big deal.
Free Bible Reading Tip Sheet!
Bogged down reading the Bible?
Good news: there's hope! Reading the Bible can be a meaningful experience. Check out 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight
Let me know your email address. Then I'll email you my free Bible reading guide and add you to my mailing list. (Unsubscribe at any time.)Get 10 Tips to Turn Bible Reading from Drudgery to Delight today!