In the last post, we talked about the disciple Simon, who Jesus named Peter.
I only know of one person called Peter in the Bible, but there are several guys named Simon:
- Simon Peter (the disciple)
- Simon the Zealot (another disciple, which may be why Jesus called the other Simon, Peter)
- Simon the brother of Jesus (his other brothers were James, Joseph, and Judas)
- Simon the leper (the owner of the home where Jesus’ head was anointed with oil)
- Simon from Cyrene (who carried Jesus’ cross)
- Simon the Pharisee (the owner of the home where Jesus feet were washed with perfume)
- Simon Iscariot (father of Judas Iscariot)
- Simon the sorcerer (who asked to buy Holy Spirit power)
- Simon the tanner (who Peter stayed with in Joppa when Cornelius sent for him)
I would have never guessed there were this many Simons in the Bible.
Get Instant Access!
Sign up for Peter DeHaan's newsletter and get weekly info to guide you into a fresh, new faith--from a biblical perspective.